Do you know where in your SW development process you are loosing precious time and money? What are the bottlenecks preventing you from delivering working software as frequently as possible?
If you want to learn a technique to answer these questions on yourself or with your team, make sure to attend this session! We will teach you Value Stream Mapping, which is a technique to visualize any process and discover waste and bottlenecks. Managers, teams and commpanies using this technique easiliy remove waste and gain efficieny!
Format and length:
This is an interactive workshop in which the participants will be guided through an exercise to learn to build a Value Stream Map of their software development process. They will work in small groups to optimize learning. The necessary theory and context will be provided by the presenters just in time.
Flipcharts, markers and post-it’s will be used for the exercise.
The proposed duration for this workshop is 90 minutes, altough it can be shortened to 60 minutes if needed.
Intended audience and prerequisites:
Everybody that is interested in improving processes will benefit from this session and is welcome! We explicitly aim this workshop towards Scrum Masters, agile coaches and people wanting to improve their software development process.
For this session, we assume that participants have none or little knowledge / experience in Value Stream Mapping. We do expect some familiarity with SW development and Agile/Scrum. Very experienced Value Stream Mappers might not benefit from this session except for another good exercise and sharing their own findings with the group.
Objectives of the session:
The goal of this session is to learn participants about Value Stream Mapping:
- What it is and why it is useful
- How it works and how to actually do it (including hands-on experience by practicing)
Benefits, for the participants and the presenters:
for the participants:
- Being able to build up a current Value Stream Map of any process to identify bottlenecks, inventories, waste etc.
- Being able to build a future Value Stream Map including the implrovements of the process.
For the presenters:
- We expect to learn more about Value Stream Mapping.
- We’ll learn from the specific processes with their ‘waste’ coming from the participant’s exercises.
- We’ll also learn about explaining and teaching Value StreamMapping, which will help us becoming better agile coaches.